Do you feel the streets are too congested for your child to walk, cycle, skateboard or scooter?
The North Shore Safe Routes Advocates are group of parents who are dedicated to providing safe routes to school. They have lobbied for many DNV improvements, council school PACS across the north shore on how to improve the health and safety of their students and have gained the support of many organizations including ICBC, North Shore Safety Council, Heart and Stroke, Travel Smart and health professionals.
The North Shore SRA are once again going to the District of North Vancouver Council meeting on November 9th at 7pm to request a dedicated Traffic Demand Manager position within the transportation department to:
• Create a feedback process for schools and residence
• Communicate infrastructure improvement criteria and requirements
• Access funding through various levels of government, grants, developers, ICBC and Trans Link
• Communicate upgrades through website and social media
• Ensure TDM initiatives are included in new plans and developments
The DNV staff work very hard, but feel that a dedicated resource will assist the district in getting a fair share of the new federal government’s infrastructure budget, provide a focus on road sharing for all modes of travel while meeting the municipalities Official Community Plan.
Why is this important to you?
• Residents know how to report an issue.
• School PACs and principals have a contact person.
• Make our streets safe for children to play.
How can you support the SRAs request?
• Come to the meeting at Monday, November 9th 2015 from 7 to 830 pm at 355 West Queens Road, North Vancouver, BC V7N 4N5.
• If you can not attend you can:
o tweet #SRAsupport and #TDMinDNV to @NVanDistrict, or
o message your support on https://www.facebook.com/NVanDistrict , or
o share your thoughts through http://www.dnv.org/contact-us/share- yourthoughts-mayor-and-council
Families need to be heard as a united voice. We can use social media to let council know that even if we cannot attend meetings because we are caring for our family, we do care about the safety of our streets, the livability of our neighbourhood and the mobility of everyone no made their mode of travel.
Please support the North Shore Safe Routes Advocates.
Watch the presentation from Montroyal's Nicole Johnston at the start of the video and Carol Sartor at 40mins. WATCH VIDEO